On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 09:33:24 -0500 Chris Seekamp <crsb...@comcast.net> said:

this is indicative of problems with the driver. you have seemingly es2gears
blasting to the framebuffer and/or the same pixmap buffer the root window lives
in for starters as opposed to sticking to its own pixmap buffer.

this is all out of the hands of the compositor and in the hads of the back-end
drivers (2d xorg drivers and.or drm/dri or even egl/gles libs).

and yes - compositing costs performance. the better the compositor and/or the
drivers, the less that cost. the theoretical BEST case is to add a 1ingle copy
to the pipeline - so any area of the screen that updates needs an extra copy.
thats in theory. in practice this depends on driver and compositor. with e you
will get only this single copy if drivers are "perfect", but that copy may be
the ENTIRE screen UNLESS your drivers support a partial render mechanism. evas
supports 3 of them for glx+egl/gles already. more depending how you count them.