On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 19:16:19 -0500 Michael Blumenkrantz
<michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:15:24 +0900
> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:47:07 +0000 Chris Michael
> > <devilho...@comcast.net> said:

> > > That is Not the point Mike, and you Know that ;)

> > > At this moment, No. But there is my Argument ... WHERE does this
> > > line get drawn ;)
> >
> > i get your point chris - and you are right. this is the initial
> > config you end up with when you had no prior comp config. the rest
> > of the config is very generic (only matches window types). eg of
> > type tooltip, or combo etc. etc. and notice these use the men style
> > which zooms in from the top edge rather than center. not on pure
> > consistency geany matches shoud use the menu style here as its the
> > same purpose.
> >
> > your point is - is there some OTHEr property on the match window
> > geany uses that allow us to identify it that is more of a
> > class/type rather than by name. i agree the name match here that is
> > app specific is out-of-place and your argument of a slippery slope
> > is right. is there an alternative more generic match to use that
> > catches this PLUS a whole bunch of other types of window that serve
> > the same purpose in many other apps.
> >
> > reality is that it may be best to suggest a patch or change to the
> > authors of geany to make their popups have a type or class so that
> > ALL compositors can detect them as they are intended - eg as kins
> > of tooltip/combobox dropdowns or menu dropdowns etc. - is there a
> > type we missed? i mean types set on override redirect windows -
> > actually we did miss some i think.
> >
> > E_WINDOW_TYPE_MENU
> > E_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH
> > E_WINDOW_TYPE_NOTIFICATION
> > E_WINDOW_TYPE_DND
> >
> > at least 2 of those i am certain might get set on override-redirect
> > windows.

> > > Sure. Memory or Performance I can understand. But (counter
> > > argument) I don't use Geany, so HOW does this help me ? ;) I use
> > > jed. If I added one for Jed (which almost nobody uses) would MY
> > > case stand ???  ;)

> > > Then you are FAILING to convey your feelings/points clearly ;) I
> > > use them (perhaps overly so) to convey feelings or points of
> > > interest. Sometimes it helps to know when a person is kidding or
> > > serious ;)
> > >
> > > Look, I am not going to debate a revert here. That is not needed.
> > > I am simply stating: "Where do we drawn the line w/ this Specifc
> > > App name" stuff ?? My App is better than Yours ? :P This is not
> > > High School ;)
> > >
> > > I am simply saying this: "Let's Keep All This Specific App Name
> > > Stuff" to a BARE minimum !!". that's all. End of Argument. I have
> > > no REAL technical reason saying your commit is bad. In fact, I
> > > have NEVER said that ! ...
> > >
> > > But as an EFL developer (for a long time), I don't want to see a
> > > million cases for specific apps in our base !! ;) End of My
> > > Argument ;) Take it for what it says. Not personal mate ;)

> [...]

/me wakes up, reads the thread, and reopens it so I can have my two
cents...

Perhaps a compromise, don't put these magic matches in the code, but
instead have some method keeping them external.  As was pointed out,
users can setup their own matches, which go into the config.  Maybe we
can invent some way of distributing these sorts of matches that work
around known problems?  Then they live in the config, not the code,
users don't have to keep reinventing the work arounds, but can instead
grab the "geany_fix.eet" file?  Then the jed_fix.eet file wont clutter
up their computers.

/me goes off to get caffeine and wake up properly, then goes back to
work on writing his own code editor.