Hello.

On Tue, 2014-02-25 at 23:10, Adrien Nader wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I mentionned in the "1.9 release should happen within the next 24h"
> thread that I found the last step too short and I'm answering here since
> I find it more appropriate.

Indeed it is.

> I am the main dev behind http://win-builds.org which makes builds for,
> well, Windows. Everything is cross-compiled from linux64. Windows is one
> of the platforms that gets built and tested less often

It should get build for every push to efl master. Jenkins takes care
of that. It is correct though that it is broken more often than the
other builds.

> and we found
> several issues in beta1 (you can see windows and cross-compilation fixes
> in git soon after beta1).

Thanks!

> (it's Windows but it could as well be Linux on MIPS; it's not Linux
> x86/x86_64 nor Linux ARM and it's not tested often)

Correct, I would bet our builds on MIPS, Sparc, etc are problematic as
well.

> While I am a developer, I do not intend to take a more active role in
> the development of the EFLs. Using them, yes; working on them, there's
> simply no time for that. This is one of the reasons I don't build and
> test intermediate versions. Another reason is that for platforms that
> get tested less, this would mean getting way too many errors.

And here we have the problem. Nobody is willing to invest in having
efl working well on mingw/windows. You did some patches which is more
than other people do so thanks for that.

Still, what I mostly hear is like "EFL needs to support windows
because the app I write should work there". But the reality is that
none of the active developers is using it or working on it behind the
causual bug fix if jenkins complains about broken builds. The mingw
automated build on jenkins is as what Cedric and I did to have at
leats an idea if we break stuff for mingw on the compilation side. Its
as far as I personally will go.

I siad it before and I will say it it again to everyone who wants efl
top support mingw/windows as a first class citizen:

If you don't do the work nobody else does.

It may sound harsh but I have done my share on keeping the mingw port
build even if I have _zero_ interest in it.

> I tried 1.9 beta1 because Cedric asked me to do it and I had some free
> time that day. With only one week between beta and the release, it is
> difficult to test and it is highly likely that my time will already be
> allocated for something else. This is without even accounting for other
> changes like evolving packaging, dependency on luajit (mostly to
> evaluate it), ...

I would suggest startring with the alpha that would give you one more
week. To late now for 1.9 anyway just saying.

> >From my packager perspective, more time between beta and final release
> is better. From my developer perspective, I actually like it when other
> devs get bored with the feeling they have nothing to do near the end of
> a stabilization period.

If they would get bored it would be good. What I see though is that
people loose interest if the stabilization phase is to long and just
start working on new developments. In the end these people are not
working on bug fixes and thus a longer time brings nothing.

> The main need is to be able to iterate several times with {build, test,
> report issue/send patch, have it commited} and for that the 1.9 setup
> has been quite short. I believe the two weeks will be much better.

You really should start with the alpha which gives you three weeks
during 1.10 if the schedule I proposed holds.

> PS: I also hope that before 1.10 alpha, I will have finished a few
> changes to win-builds to harass most of you into testing for Windows.
> PS2: Wine works well enough.

Good luck finding people for that. :)

regards
Stefan Schmidt