On Mon, 11 Aug 2014 09:22:38 +0000 Prathamesh P Ghanekar
<prathamesh.ghane...@igate.com> said:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to compile and run the emtion_basic_example.c file available in
> the EFL documentation. While I am able to do so, I am not able to observe the
> change in X and Y co-ordinates of the window when I change x and y parameters
> in ecore_evas_new() API, when I run the code on Tizen desktop system, (where
> X server is absent).

you mean in weston?

> I would like to know few basic things.
> 1)In absence of X server, where wayland-like display server is at work, how
> to control the position of the window? 2)How is Ecore_Evas related to the

yiou can't. wayland protocol does not allow positioning of a surface
(subsurfaces only - and relative to the parent surface). that is an explicit
conscious decision and a good one. clients really have little to no business
manually positioning their windows (surfaces). compositors like weston
literally have no protocol to move/position that surface/window... so - no go.

the intend is that window positioning is automatic on the compositor-side. it
pricks a proper position for you based on window/surface metadata - eg if its a
dialog (transient and/or modal type) the compositor will ALWAYS place the
dialog in the center of the surface that the dialog belongs to (another of your
surfaces).

this kind of thing helps enforce style and rules and you are just expected to
live with it.

as such weston isn't that smart when it comes to positioning windows - at least
not normal toplevels, so you just get what you currently get.

> Ecore_wl_window?Should I be manipulating attributes of Ecore_wlo_window
> instead of ecore_evas itself, if I have to change the co-ordinates of the
> window so obtained?

as above... you can't. i don't plan on adding such protocol to enlightenment as
a wayland compositor either for the same reasons. wayland is a good opportunity
to clean up this kind of mess - allowing clients to manually position their
own windows. it's time to stop doing all these hacks client-side.