Hello.

This option is set to both (legacy and eo) by default so we normally
don't see any trouble here.

Just setting it to eo breaks the build badly. Tons of implicit functions
definition and errors later on. Try it. :)

People don't seem to mess with this but as it is the nature of knobs
some people start to tune them. :)

As you can see in https://phab.enlightenment.org/T1558 someone tried and
reported the problem.
Booth is the default and setting it to legacy alone works, too. Just tested.

It feels like we are not ready yet to expose this decision as a
configure option. How to handle this?

Options to handle it in my order of preference:

1) Don't expose this option as configure knob to the user
2) Only allow for legacy and both as options
3) Leave as is and let the user try to learn from trusting us. ;)

regards
Stefan Schmidt