Hey,

It is finally time to release Eo.

Since the next EFL release is in August, this will only become official
EFL API starting from then, however, I'm announcing this now, so
developers who track EFL git can already start using Eo and be assured
the API will remain the same.

This includes all of the APIs of Eo and Eo.Base, essentially everything
in Eo.h (unless marked otherwise). Please note, this means that all the
other EFL/Elementary Eo functions, for example Evas.Object, are still
*not* stable.

I plan on doing it in three stages:
1. "Everything goes": nothing is going to change until the 27th. Until
then Eo is still considered unstable and things may change. This should
give people enough time for a last review before we decide to go forward
with this.
2. "Very stable": after the 27th we are not going to break Eo API unless
there's a VERY good reason to. This means that starting from the 27th,
Eo is essentially "released".
3. "Released": Starting from 1.15, Eo is stable API. Same as all the
other released EFL APIs.

Again, this does *not* apply to APIs outside of Eo.h like Evas.Object.
Essentially, this means you can create your own classes (as long as they
inherit from Eo.Base), but not the EFL/Elementary classes.
This is still very useful, and we already have users using Eo this way.
This also means people writing new libraries, can create them using
Eolian, and create Eo based API, which users of that API can safely use
(we also have users using Eo this way).

Eolian: while we are still making no promises about Eolian, I believe
the Eolian syntax won't break (too much) until the 1.15 release. We also
hope to declare the Eolian syntax as stable at the 1.15 release, so we
can only add to it, but not break existing syntax. This however depends
on more testing within the EFL and generated bindings.
You can however already start using Eolian, just make sure to ship the
generated .eo.[ch] in your tarball. This will just work regardless of
any Eolian syntax breaks.
As always, all the info about Eolian, including reference .eo file, can
be found on the wiki: https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/eolian/

As for when you'll be able to use the EFL/Elementary API with Eo? No
plans at the moment. I plan on making it mostly good for 1.15, however
there'll still be a lot of reviewing and changes that need to be done,
and that will take time.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank the 28 different
contributors who contributed to Eo since its inception, everyone who
reported bugs, and everyone else who helped in getting it to this state.

If you have any questions, thoughts or suggestions, please let me know.

--
Tom.