I suggest a new container widget, elm_cell, which makes resizing and adding
padding outside convenient. This widget allows developers to make a complex
layout without edc, but doesn't try to replace it. It provides a middle
level difficulty and flexibility between EFL novices and experts.
https://phab.enlightenment.org/D3262

Assume that you are an app developer who receives the layout specification
like the next.
http://imgur.com/E1HfxJF

It has outside padding between window and its main contents, and subobjects
have different padding size between them.
Of course, you can make this with edc & elm_layout clearly. However, if you
try to implement this with basic containers like box, grid or table, you
will have a great difficulty. Moreover, the implemented one can have
problems because of complex structures.

Following problems will occur when existing containers are used.
1. Grid: If child object is resized after packed, grid does not reflect
change.
2. Box, Table: Different padding size between children is not supported.

Learning EDC becomes a high barrier to newcomers to EFL. I agree that
expert EFL developer should learn edc. However, the developers who make EFL
application first should have an easier way than now not to make them give
up.