Ross Vandegrift <r...@kallisti.us> wrote:
> On November 4, 2015 7:48:53 PM EST, Carsten Haitzler
> <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, 04 Nov 2015 11:54:43 -0500 Ross Vandegrift <r...@kallisti.us>
>>said:
>>> Is there an official stance on sonames in EFL & friends?  I see some
[...]
>>does this help?

> Err, not really - I was wondering about when you guys would change a
> soname.  Sorry for being unclear.

> Looking over the history, I'd guess the plan is to leave them alone.
> But maybe an EFL 2.x would trigger a change?  I'm not 100% confidant of
> that assessment.  Just trying to figure out what to expect.

Hello,
Jumping in, let me outline the question a little bit more extensively:

Let's assume I found that there is ABI breakage when upgrading
libfoo from efl 1.8 to libfoo from efl 1.15 while both releases of
libfoo shared the same soname. i.e.  a binary built against
libfoo-efl1.8 will stop working correctly when libfoo is upgraded to
libfoo-efl1.15. If I reported a bug about this issue would you
consider it to be release-critical and would you resolve it by either
fixing the ABI breakage or bumping the soname?

(Obviously this implies that I generally would not usually find such
issues, since making sure that ABI breakage is avoided would be part
of the release process.)

cu Andreas

so grateful to you.'