On 14/01/16 01:45, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:50:20 +0000 Andrew Williams <a...@andywilliams.me>
> said:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 at 13:22 Tom Hacohen <t...@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 13/01/16 10:54, David Seikel wrote:
>>>>
>>> More specifically, I disagree with raster on the build now and remove
>>> later. Elementary is a completely separate module (to the point that
>>> it's in its own repo at the moment!). I think it's very reasonable to
>>> have a "disable" flag for it. It takes time to build elementary, I don't
>>> want to waste that time either (if I don't want it).
>>>

>> When it comes to build time I want to be able to get it down to an absolute
>> minimum.
>> For me this includes being able to build sub-portions at will.
>> In an ideal world for me the top level would be an agregation that can
>> build all/any of the children and each library/module that can sanely be
>> built seperately should be possible.
>> To facilitate real test driven development it's critical that you be able
>> to write a test / feature / bug fix and compile for near-immediate feedback
>> on your work.
>>
>> I know it's not something that everyone shares but pushing against this
>> flexibility is something that I struggle to see value in.
>
> actually our issue right now is you cant build  a sub-module or sub tree. you
> always have to build from top. this makes devlopement insanely slow as these
> builds now always take a minute or so rather than a few seconds - as they walk
> over everything and "skip".
>
> while this allows for much better parallel builds for a full build, it
> severely hurts development builds (where all u want is to rebuild libevas or
> libeina and not rebuild everything that also depends on it too). this was a
> mistake and we need to have the old-school subdir build that elm still has
> back
> in efl.
>
> eolain is creating issues here in that is touching/modifying files that have
> not actually changed content and thus causing other regenerations by make etc.
>
> we need to fix this. eolain maybe needs to generate the new file to
> filename.tmp then do a comparison of old filename vs filename.tmp - if they
> are
> identical, simply throw away filename.tmp. this will be far more efficient for
> our builds.

No it's not. Eolian is only regenerating the changes .eo files! It does
however regen when Eolian files change or eolian_gen changes, which
means that when you change eolian's source code or eina, it'll regen.
Sure, we could actually improve it not to "touch" when the output is the
same. Will get Daniel on it. :)

--
Tom.