I think the necessary tools are already there to do a slideshow.  Image
widget, button widget, layout widget, timer, etc... I think a toolkit
should provide all of the basic elements, but not be worried with
maintaining, as you said, complex widgets.  It's obviously a question of
where to draw the line as to how high level to make widgets... I'm of the
philosophy of keeping it low level and super refined and stable.  The
higher level we go, the less diversity we will have among applications.
Some may like that, some may not.  Also, the higher level we go, the more
generic those widgets will become, not fitting specific needs, and causing
people to just rewrite their own versions anyway.  I think retiring
slideshow is a good idea, and Ephoto uses it at the moment.  I've been
intending to write my own version anyway.  Just my two cents.