On 19 April 2016 at 07:13, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:40:41 -0700 Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr>
> said:

> ras...@rasterman.com>

> >> I do not believe it is possible to have a generic threadsafe object in
> >> C anyway. You need external synchronisation primitive or you will have
> >> race condition when passing parameter and returning value. Some
> >> primitive can be threadsafe, but the concept of threadsafety is
> >> unlikely to be broad.
> >
> > example:
> >
> > thread1:
> >
> > obj = eo_add(..);
> > eo_data_key_set(obj, "stuff", data);
> > send_msg(thread2, obj); // send msg to thread 2 to use obj
> > // some time later
> > for (;;) {
> >   eo_data_key_set(obj, "otherstuff", data2);
> >   sleep(1);
> >   datax = eo_data_key_get(obj, "otherstuff");
> >   eo_data_key_del(obj, "otherstuff");
> > }
> >
> > thread2:
> > wait_msg();
> > for (;;) {
> >   data3 = eo_data_get_get(obj, "stuff");
> >   process(data3);
> > }
>
> I guess, that sleep(1) is another synchronisation method in the
> example above (as is send_msg/wait_msg).
>
> > this above SHOULD work if obj was intended to be threadsafe. reality is
> we are
> > psetered day in and out to make efl threadsafe. all the time. reality is
> that
> > for gui studff this is nigh on impossible because of the model of
> keeping state
> > unrendered until going idle so changes need to be done within a lock of
> some
> > sort within the loop that owns the ui. most of efl is ui. but let's talk
> about
> > things like making the main loop an object so different threads can have
> > different loops. so you can do efl_loop_begin/end(mainloop); we have
> talked
> > about having inter-loop messaging similarly etc. this requires threadsafe
> > objects. if eo_base and below is not threadsafe then we are screwed in
> ever
> > being able to do this. you cannot have the above code which has no race
> > conditions at all because thread1 has guaranteed "stuff" is stored before
> > thread2 ever gets the message to use it and it doesnt ever mess with it
> again.
> > because keys are implemented using a list and a key lookup brings the
> key to
> > the front of the list (LRU) then 2 threads messing with the same list is
> going
> > to end up with a crash despite the programmer doing all the right things.
> > forcing them to create locks for every object separately to the object
> is just
> [...]
To sum things up:

We need:
- eo_ref/eu_unref should be atomic
- call_resolve should be thread safe
- eo_data_scope_get() should be safe (I believe it is)

Cedric proposes that Eo.Base remains unsafe but instead we have
Eo.Thread_Safe.Base that implements all of Eo.Base methods in a thread safe
manner.
Then only the rare objects that require thread safety can inherit from
Eo.Thread_Safe.Base and they are "safe" at the base level.
Eo.Thread_Safe.Base can also provide lock(), unlock(), ...

UI objects can not be safe (they could even "abort()" when called from
another thread, a la Android - in debug mode).

Best regards,

--
Jean-Philippe André