On Sun, 1 May 2016 12:12:09 +0930 Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> said:

> On 05/01/2016 10:47 AM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> >> Maybe this can help: the new icons I'm going to put in elm will also be
> >> available
> >> as a "normal" fdo icons theme. With the idea that non elm apps can use the
> >> same
> >> icons as the elm ones
> >
> > that's only doable for icons hat are just single images. if you look at
> > things like efm's icons for files, they are not. they are full edje designs
> > with multilpe components. i know these are not the elm icon variety but
> > they are AN icon and a good sample of when this falls over.
> >
> > the reason to do edje for icon is this reason AND that we can animate and
> > have icons react to events (signals) which make them massively more useful
> > than fdo icons. you can tell them to go look disabled or active/normal, or
> > so much more. :)
>
> When i'm referencing the FDO theme, i'm talking about a separate FDO
> theme that uses icons from the elm theme (Yes this may involve squashing
> some elm icons). The point of this icon theme is so that gtk/Qt apps can
> use the same icon theme as the elm icon theme elm apps would continue to
> use the existing elm theme. Someone might come up with a way to color
> gtk/Qt apps in the same way as the efl theme and also want there icons
> to match. This is similar to the concept in the "GTK Applications" tab
> which has a checkbox for "Match Enlightenment theme if possible"

then you need some magic tool + script that can extract not just single images
into an fdo theme but also render the complex ones into single images.

> Dave rasied the point on IRC that his FDO theme won't contain
> application icons for the ibar etc, but that should be fine as if
> distro's are following the FDO spec correctly each application will have
> atleast one icon stored in the hicolor icon theme or in
> /usr/share/pixmaps which e correctly falls back to.

yeah. i don't expect this theme to do app icons at all. it's kind of an endless
problem. there's always a new app that an existing theme can't cover. it's
forever growing. (app icons that is). :)