On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Tom Hacohen <t...@osg.samsung.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Callback arrays was an idea that was introduced a while back to save
> memory.

ohhh, I guessed it was to improve usability, saving many "add" calls
at the end of an "eo_add()"... at least it's how I use them.

Take a look in GIT to see if most usages are like mine or what you
describe. Based on that you can take some proper action.

My gut feeling is that the cacheline improvement is a big thing, since
number of callbacks tend to be small and if we can keep this compact,
it's a nice improvement to reach the target. Once there, bit more
expensive access doesn't matter that much (since it'll be only one).

hashes or lookup optimizations are usually not worth for small number
of entries... the cost of preparing the lookup usually doesn't pay
off, not even a bsearch() usually pays...

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri