> the last
>> 2 ones I don't know how to fix. The issue is that I need to do a stat
>> before doing a mkdir or a rmdir and in between something could have
>> happened on those directory and would lead to an unexpected result.
>> Overall I don't think it is going to be a problem as it leads mostly to
>> a failure (Non empty directory being deleted, or creating a directory
>> that already exist), but if anyone has an idea.
>
> A good question. I was wondering about such situation in the other Time
> of check time of use defects as well. :/

Most of these syscalls return errors and you check for those, without
prior calls to stat(), for example mkdir -p would be implemented as
trying to create all directories from root to leaf ignoring EEXIST.

The TOCTOU errors are basically "you're doing useless stuff since you
must check the syscall error anyway"... but are usually important if
you fail to do the error checking, believing due prior check it would
be all right.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri