On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 12:28:22 +0100 Jonathan Aquilina <jaquil...@eagleeyet.net>
said:

> Another interesting thing to consider is modularity. Libreoffice allows you
> to build individual modules of it but if problems are encountered a make
> clean is run and a full rebuild is done. Also they integrate ccache to
> improve build speeds as well.

that is precisely what i'm thinking. the massive 50,000 line makefiles are to
make this "not necessary" and do the most conservative thing on a change
(rebuild and/or relink anything that MAY possibly be affected). we no longer
have a subtree build to avoid this with autotools.

i'd rather we take the "oops that didnt work" forcing a make clean + make to
be manually done from a higher level in the tree than what we have now. :(