On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 3:19 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 09:45:04 -0200 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 5:24 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
>> wrote: [...]
>> > i7 desktop: (autogen)    (make) (eina_cpu.c) (eina_cpu.h)      ()
>> > autotools:     27.802     4.306        0.571        1.234   0.097
>> > cmake ninja:    1.283     2.278        0.160        0.636   0.014
>> > cmake make:     1.632     3.142        0.234        0.787   0.064
>> >
>> > pi3:
>> > autotools:    477.870    62.640        6.853       16.337   1.313
>> > cmake ninja:   15.892    35.931        2.611        9.627   1.365
>> > cmake make:    19.358    38.991        0.961        1.161   0.921
>> >
>> > so dumping automake and libtool buys raw build speedups of like 2x. doing
>> > any editing of code is massively faster as just far less is built AND it's
>> > built faster. the autogen (configure/autotools) part is MANY MANY MANY
>> > times faster. even assuming it'll get 3x slower once we check everything
>> > with cmake... it's still 5-10 TIMES faster.
>>
>> currently cmake's configure does very barebone checks, such as types
>> and the likes, but even that I want to improve by taking some
>> shortcuts such as "if(LINUX AND GLIBC_GOOD_ENOUGH)" would assume you
>> run a sane system and skip checking for stupid stuff. Same for
>> compiler checks, we do lots of flags we know exist in newer compilers,
>> so we could easily add an 'if' and just use the flags, not generate
>> and compile one single test with that. Granted we could also do some
>> of that in autootols, but some parts are trickier to do.
>
> yeah. having more "we know on platform X feature x/y/z are exist andor/ arfe
> done this way" and simply detecting which is nicest. though there is the
> un-fun
> thing s like "linux && glibc, linux && uclibc, linux && musl ..." for
> starters... :(
>
>> > the simple version of this is: it looks like cmake doesn't do stupid
>> > relinking or rebuilds it doesn't need to that i thought we'd have to fight.
>> > so it just got better. cmake is seemingly right out there in terms of
>> > speed. for a GENERIC build system tool that should/can handle anything it
>> > seems to be handily fast.
>>
>> I configured it so it will require a build directory and inside that
>> directory I shadow the system installation without "prefix", thus you
>> end with "lib", "bin" and so on. They also use rpath to set paths to
>> find the binaries, resetting those to "" (empty) at the time of
>> installation, which is faster than relinking.
>
> i'm less of an rpath fan... i'd rather we use LI_LIBRARY_PATH instead at these
> junctures...

https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_RPATH_handling says -DCMAKE_SKIP_RPATH=ON
does what you want.

But overall it helps usage without the need for nasty libtool-like scripts.

However, with the build results being laid out exactly like they would
in the system makes things much easier, eina_prefix should just work,
etc.

> [...]
>>
>> I'd like to complement with: simpler rules and usage for efl developers.
>>
>> With automake you can't autogenerate anything (at least I never found
>> a may to apply m4 rules there), then you keep repeating patterns for
>> modules and all, that results in slightly different versions of the
>> same thing as one is updated and the other isn't.
>>
>> with cmake and other build systems I can instruct them to understand
>> efl's well structured source tree and automatically do stuff for us.
>> My plan is for the final CMakeLists.txt to foreach(l in src/lib/*)
>> call EFL_LIB(${l}), then it will automatically do:
>>
>>  - check if library is enabled
>>
>>  - include src/lib/${l}/CMakeLists.txt to get SOURCES, LIBRARIES,
>> PUBLIC_LIBRARIES, PUBLIC_HEADERS...
>>
>>  - create static/dynamic library (we can even automate libefl-single.so
>> here)
>>
>>  - write ${l}.pc (also simpler to automate libefl-single.pc and make
>> all others just Require: efl-single)
>>
>>  - include src/bin/${l}/CMakeLists.txt or
>> src/bin/${l}/*/CMakeLists.txt and compile all binaries automatically
>> linking with the library ${l}
>>
>>  - include src/modules/${l}/*/*/CMakeLists.txt and compile all modules
>> (with optional scope) linking with ${l} (if dynamic) or linking ${l}
>> with module.a (if static module)
>>
>>  - include src/tests/${l} or src/tests/${l}/*/CMakeLists.txt and
>> compile all tests, linking with ${l} and adding to ctest testing
>> runner.
>>
>> You can compare 3 files with src/Makefile_Eina.am:
>> src/lib/eina/CMakeLists.txt
>> src/modules/eina/mp/one_big/CMakeLists.txt
>> src/tests/eina/CMakeLists.txt
>>
>> see we do not need to provide src/bin/eina/eina_btlog/CMakeLists.txt
>> as it's a single file source that just links with eina.
>
> i like the idea of a strict tree with a pattern to follow so it's easy to copy
> & paste or re-use templates or just have simpler parent build rules that just
> need some overrides (eg add the following include dirs and linking to this
> binary vs the std template).
>
> now the question still stands... any good reasons not to cmake. what we need
> is:
>
> 1. people willing to get dirty and help a move happen
> 2. a plan of how to do that move with the least disruption and least pain
>
> i can see a stage 0 here... "prepare for it". so within autotool land move src
> around a bit so we have "1 dir == 1 output target" like you describe so it's
> easier to do the above you describe with cmake.
>
> another question is ... is it possible to have a hybrid system. for now have a
> master configure and this re-cycles sub-configure-like features to run cmake
> in
> subdirs. that way we can port src/lib/eina and src/bin/eina for example
> first ... then expand... then eg do efl and eo, then ecore, then ecore_con
> then... so one thing at a time move over to cmake... and in the end nuke the
> toplevel autotools configure and replace that with cmake. is this even sane?

while this is possible, I believe it can be done real quick once we
finish eina for real IF we add an extra step to "stage 0":

 - unify & simplify #define usage

As Marcel noticed and I notice when I helped with the single tree
unification, it's a nightmare to find out the defines, what people use
and which are meaningful.

So a review to also follow a pattern is needed and can be done in
autotools before we move.

An example is how to enable/disable modules and make them static,
these are all different and in cmake I tried to make them
auto-generated thus they must follow a pattern:
    EFL_${LIB}_MODULE_TYPE_${SCOPE}_${MODULE}_${TYPE}

like:
    EFL_EINA_MODULE_TYPE_MP_CHAINED_STATIC
    EFL_EINA_MODULE_TYPE_MP_ONE_BIG_DYNAMIC

Then it's my proposal for modules to be all converted to use something
like that + the install directory structure to be the same, currently
ecore is different, possibly others.

But that goes to many, many things, like 3-4 variables to tell project
version (VMAJ-like)

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri