Hi Andrew,

Markup uses tags like "<color=#fff> hello </color>".
It is clear why it's essential to do "character escaping" like "&gt;"
instead
of "<". Otherwise, if you feed "<" back to the entry widget, it will be
misinterpreted as a tag element.
As a side note, you can use "elm_entry_markup_to_utf8" helper to
strip-down the formatting and "un-escape" the characters so all becomes
a valid utf8 text.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

--
Danny (herdsman) Hirt