On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 13:10:07 -0500 Derek Foreman <der...@osg.samsung.com> said:

> That was me, but I've been monitoring from outside - I have no idea if
> it's the colo provider doing something, or some cron job at 5:00-5:10AM
> CST, or ???

i've never been unable to get into e5.e.org (which is the host) at any time
unless it's being rebooted at the time. which would rule out the hosting. but
this gels with my "when it goes down... it's often towards the end of my
day" ... 7pmish. some days i'm off to korean lessons from 7 to 8 so it's
working before lesson, broken when i get home about 8:30... so this gels with
what i've seen.. but the host (e5) was alive. just rebooting it fixed things.

i do know beber seems to have rebuilt the kernel recently and is running it.
Jul 11 16:11:10 specifically. kvm is now a module.... so next time the machine
is being "dead" (not just ssh denying because of proxy command config or
something) ... i can shut down qemu vm's and rmmod/modprobe and see ... but the
last few times i ssh'd into e5v1 and git/phab/www etc. and they were responsive
on the cmdline. so things seem to have changed how they break...

but now we talk about this....

ctron.daily runs at 3:05am... that's 5:05am CST. (e.org is in PDT). and... at
3am it does logrotate.... what i thought long ago was that this was some kind
of timeout... as if it were something logging every command run or something
ands it's timing out trying to send logs...

i think we have something here... the smell is strong.