Hi All,
I am sending this email in my capacity as the enlightenment maintainer
for openSUSE. I would like to propose the release of e19 without wayland
support with the release process starting as soon as practical. The main
reasons for this are Firstly as of this morning there are no release
critical "Show stopper" bugs reported against enlightenment on phab
(There is still a tiling bug with the tag e19 release blockers
<https://phab.enlightenment.org/tag/e19_release_blockers/> T952).
Secondly From speaking to people on IRC wayland on enlightenment will
still require further changes to efl meaning that a e19 release with
wayland wouldn't be able to happen for atleast another 3 months.

Thirdly the main issue for me is that openSUSE goes into feature freeze
in about a month and releases in around 3 months and i would much rather
ship something based off e19 then e18 because on all the machines i have
tried e19 is much faster and doesn't crash, the same can not be said for
e18. I wouldn't mind shipping a pre alpha, even the current version of
enlightenment but the main issue i have is someone could add something
to enlightenment that requires a new efl 1.12 feature and then i would
either need to patch that change out or stick with a version of
enlightenment from before that change. It may seem like this issue only
effects me but i know that bodhi is currently shipping e19 alpha
snapshots in the beta's for its next release and so it is probably being
held up by the lack of a e19 release.

Which brings us to the point that most users are being forced to use a
slower buggier version of enlightenment although a better one exists
(because they either don't have the time or expertise to build
enlightenment from source). The only reason that i can see is because
enlightenment is waiting for wayland support which none of them will be
able to use as no distro's ship with it yet. Apparently enlightenment
releases happen "When its ready" and as far as i can tell its ready for
99% of people. If wayland support is ready in 3 months then e20 can be
released then with wayland support (you don't even need to lift the
feature freeze before then) but currently most of the wayland work is
being done in personal branches that know one can see and know one has
been able to tell me when it will be ready.

I bring this to your attention because you are probably mostly all devs
who mostly build from source, and before you make your mind up about
this proposal i'd invite you to all go back and try e18.8 or e17.6 to
remind you what the majority of e users are currently using. I do look
forward to testing e + wayland in the future as well keep up the good
work all.

Simon Lees

Maintainer of e in openSUSE