On Tuesday, 29 June 2004, at 18:27:50 (-0400),
Bradley Reed wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what is runlevel 2?  Slackware defines RL1 as
> single-user, RL3 as multiuser-no X, and RL4 as multiuser with
> X. Most other distros I've used use RL5 as multiuser with X.

0.  Off
1.  Single user
2.  Multi-user with no networking
3.  Multi-user with networking but no X
4.  Multi-user with networking and X
5.  User-defined
6.  User-defined

That's how they're supposed to be, anyway.  Solaris (and Linux,
probably as a result thereof) use runlevel 6 for reboot, which is just
silly.  RH and similar distros ignore 4 and use 5 for
Multi-user/network/X, which is also fairly silly.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>