On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:28:03 +0200 [EMAIL PROTECTED] babbled:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a peculiar problem with drag n' drop in the opera browser, that is,
> dragging and dropping within opera and from it to other applications is
> completely impossible (I only get the "no dropping allowed" mouse icon).
> Dragging something from outside into opera works fine. Funnily enough,
> this problem only occurs, when opera is started on any desktop except
> desktop 0; furthermore, all other applications interact fine with each
> other. Also, in KDE everything works fine.

oh this is easy... file a bug with opera. seriously it's an opera bug. why? they
do NOT handle virtual roots. it's not HARD to do. you just have to NOT assume
that all application windows have frame windows that are children of the root
window - they may be children of a VIRTUAL root. i have seen this code before -
hell xprop and xwininfo in the core x code suffer from this. opera needs to
PROPERLY walk the window tree to find the target app window. (ie start at root
and keep working down the tree with window geometries until the window is
found). this is the CORRECT and GENERIC solution that will work for all virtual
root wm's, all non virtual root wm's and any form of swallowed or embedded app
windows. :)

if you are an opera user they will (hopefully) pay attention as you are a
customer.

> With the enlightenment-0.16.7-0.56 release I could work around this
> problem by switching first to the desired desktop and then starting opera
> as opposed to starting opera from a different desktop via a keyboard
> shortcut and the "remember desktop" option.
>
> With the enlightenment-0.16.7-pre5 release this trick has ceased to work.
> I wonder if anybody else had this problem and whether there is a solution
> or something.

e16 used to set common "virtual root" properties on its vroots - but this isn't
necessary to solve the problem properly. see above. :)

> Lacking that, I would invest a little time into making a patch for it. In
> that case, I'd be happy if Kim or any of the developers could point me to
> a source file where I could start investigating the DnD handling. Also, as
> the workaround didn't work any longer after the upgrade to pre5, I assume
> that something in this area must have been changed. I'd appreciate a hint
> on that, too.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions
>
> Marc

熊耳 - 車君 (数田)                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)