Chuck MATTSEN wrote:
Renaming ~/.enlightenment made no difference, I'm afraid. I suspect it's an xorg config problem; I somehow lost my X config the other day after the synaptics touchpad update, and couldn't get into X at all. In my bumbling way, I somehow managed to get back into X and, indeed, both KDE and Gnome seem to function well now, though E still refuses to start (with the same fatal error complaint about X).

The only other thing I've noticed is that my icons seem to have lost their "transparency" . . . i.e., the icons in the kicker panel menu in KDE, and show as icons in boxes when moused over (rather than the MDK star remaining a star, etc., and icons appear "boxy," as well, when doing a drag-and-drop in, say, Thunderbird. That's all I've noticed, though, and I suspect that may be the "shape" being referred to in the E fatal error complaint?

So, it would appear to be an X/config problem on my end, and not E, so I'll not clutter the list with what's not an E problem. :-) If anyone has any suggestions for troubleshooting off-list, though, they'd be appreciated. TIA

I'm happy to report that -- although I'm still just as dirt stupid about the inner workings of all things X-related, as well as Enlightenment :-) -- I /did/ manage to stumble across the solution to the problem of the Enlightenment Fatal Errors, as well as the (apparently related) ugly, boxy icon thingamabobber.

In a Google search under the error phrase "This Xserver does not support the Shape extension," I found a few posts referencing a
Load "extmod"
line which had apparently gone missing from my X config file. After adding that back in, I'm back in E again (thank gawd, KDE was driving me nuts), and my icons are back to normal.

Sometimes it's so simple.  :-\

--
Chuck MATTSEN / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / Mahnomen, MN / RLU #346519
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Alpha 1) for i586 kernel 2.6.3-9mdk

Random Thought/Quote for this Message:
Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein. -- Joe Theismann, Former quarterback

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by BEA Weblogic Workshop FREE Java Enterprise J2EE developer tools! Get your free copy of BEA WebLogic Workshop 8.1 today. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=5047&alloc_id=10808&op=click _______________________________________________ enlightenment-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/enlightenment-users