Update on this one...

Many thanks for all the replies on and off-list. I have been taking them
on-board but I've been up to my neck in work.

Okay, so I'm still on E16.7 but it's working really well and I have evidence
working really nicely too so that's where I'm staying right now.

I have since learnt that these days, what with things like urpmi rpm's
"ought" to work on most RPM based ditributions, so I'm not overly fussed
that I used SUSE rpm's as opposed to Mandrake ones. Hell, they worked
afterall.

I did however grab a copy of SUSE 9.2 anyway since I've been curious about
it for a long time so I rescued the HDD from the old laptop and have
installed SUSE on there. Wow! How great is it to have a distro that just
WORKS out of the box?? It now get's my vote :)

Anyway, I digress. This now gives me a path to be able to install and try
out E17 over the coming weeks or months (as work permits) without it
impacting my real installation and at such point as I have a week spare I'm
going to go over it all changing to SUSE, installing Oracle 9.2 and E17.

To very quickly cover the remaining couple of points. Quite a few people
suggested doing things with file managers that involved KDE or Gnome apps.
The point was though that I didn't even want to install KDE or Gnome. At the
moment I do have Gnome installed since I wasn't sure how much of the
libraries were needed, but ultimately, if I don't need it, then I don't want
it. As I said, I'm fed up with my OS consuming 3+GB when I need every byte I
can get for the GB's of data processing I have to program for.

Cross-compiling: Sadly, don't have access to an actual AIX box. Only the
live boxes that I can't develop on. Have to develop etc under linux then
just test and implement on live. We have two stages of "live". Neither of
them have compilers unfortunately. This also means neither of them have the
stubs that I need for cross-compiling (iirc anyway).

Anyway, getting OT.

Looking forward to getting some time to try out E17. It really does look
sweet :)

Martin.