Against my normal better judgement and in complete contradiction to my
ealier mail, I liked the look of those RPMs and had a spare hour on this
snowy Friday afternoon so just went for it.

I can happily report that E16.999 was a doddle to get going under Mandrake
10.1

Now this was obviously already known since Didier's site has some notes on
Madrake 10.1 on the front page, but just for the benefit of anyone else here
is what I did since there were a couple of gotcha's.

(DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT DON'T DO IT SINCE IT
DOES INVOLVE --FORCE!)

Firstly I uninstalled my E16 setup because I was getting rpm conflicts.

1. I did exactly as per Didier's site in the section "Attention Mandrake
Users" (installing and sorting some locations of a few crypto libs)
2. I downloaded the contents of the FC2 rpm dir since I don't have apt or
yum installed and I believe that path may not work under mdk anyway because
of the following points.
3. Went to the dir I saved them to and just did an rpm -Uvh * and then noted
what it was saying it was missing.
4. Installed all dependencies until I got it down to "freetype2" and
"xine-lib" and one other xine related one.
5. Freetype2. Mdk calls this libfreetype6 and libfreetype6-devel apparently
so checked these were installed and continued.
6. With the xine rpms, similar issue. They were called lib-xine rather than
xine-lib. Something like that. Checked they were installed and continued.
7. "rpm -Uvh --force *" since I now knew everything it thought it was
missing was in fact really there.

Bingo.

E doesn't show up in gdm yet. I'm looking at that, but for now I have
"DESKTOP=enlightenment" in ~/.desktop and in /etc/sysconfig/desktop and that
seems to do the job.

Nice work Didier. I know maybe source build would get me the latest and
greatest code and maybe guarantee my build a bit better, but in the space of
about 30 minutes I'm now finding my way round a new environment that looks
just stunning.

Now all I need to do is just that. Find my way around :)

Cheers,
Martin.