On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:08:36 -0400 Mike Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> steve wrote:
>
> > Whenever I go to Choose Continent->North America the module and all of
> > enlightenment freezes completely.  I have not debugged at all.  I have
> > noticed this behaviour for last two days.
> >
> After updating from CVS I noticed this too. It looks like there's just
> too many entries in the North America menu for the menu system to
> handle. enlightenement will jump to 100% CPU -- it may come back in a
> few minutes, or it may not. If I select North America, and then move my
> mouse to the right in such a way that I move down the N.A. menu without
> selecting any of the cities, I am able to get down to "New York", and if
> I select ONLY New York, I see a lot of menu items, but around the
> D-entries, the menu display is corrupted entirely. I'll just leave it
> set to Bermuda for now.

basically there are limts on menu sizes - once a menu gets about 32000 pixels
high or wide (32768 or bigger) it will have bit problems. this is mostly due to
x as you can only access the first 32767x32767 co-ords of a window, and a
widnow has a limit of 65536x65536 pixels (it uses signed shorts for co-ords and
unsigned shots for sizes). also thefact that e has to RENDER a menu widnow TAHT
BIG will mean it eats up some cpu.

basically a menu is the WRONG UI element to use for such massive lists. its
just bad bad bad bad UI design. i knew e17's menus woudlnt cope too well with
sreens and screens of items. i dont expect them to really have that many. the
solution is to put such a selector in a different place - like a dialog box
with a scrollable list of items. mind you - there are no ready made dialogs
like this available yet. :)

裸好多                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)