On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:19:52 -0500 Jim Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> Hello,
>
> I had a crash while having gdb attached.  Here is the info that gdb gave
> when I went to the console after e stopped responding:
> -----------
> Detaching after fork from child process 11482.
> Detaching after fork from child process 11562.
> Detaching after fork from child process 11638.
> Detaching after fork from child process 11751.
> Detaching after fork from child process 11946.
>
> Program received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
> [Switching to Thread -1208502560 (LWP 11344)]
> 0x00ee4402 in ?? ()
> -----------
> Before quitting gdb I checked the pids listed.  They were the processes
> I had running when this bad thing happened, gnome-terminal, xmms,
> thunderbird, firefox, etc...

sig abort? ugh. um. the only 2 aborts in  any of efl thaty could be called are
called ONLY when your system runs out of memory - entirely - that means all of
ram and swap used and e cannto alloc a few bytes for a cache entry. it would
printf its error just before that abort, so something else is sending e an ABRT
signal i suspect or calling abort in a lower library. this is weird. you don't
seem to have compiled with gdb debugging (CFLAGS=-g) - and you shoudl give us
backtraces too. see my email a few weeks ago to e-ursers (search the archvies
for gdb and valgrind) where i give a detailed howto on debugging.

> Then when I quit gdb my login is killed and the greeter comes back.  I
> simply login and start over.
>
> This is happening on my desktop at work, my laptop, and a test machine
> also here at work.  The laptop has ATI and stock xorg drivers, desktop
> has  nvidia card and drivers, the test machine has nvidia card but xorg
> drivers.  The only common thing is all are running FC4 and e17 installed
> from the rpm version of e17.
>
> Not sure where to start debugging.  Nothing in Xorg.0.log or messages.

this is certainly not a segv. it's something else. get us a backtrace to be
certain where this abort is coming from and compile with gdb debugging - but
this is suspicious...

> TIA,
> jim
>

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:25:20 -0500 Jim Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > babbled:
> >

> >>Hello List,
> >>
> >>Been converting from e16 to e17 for a couple of weeks now.  Working
> >>great and understood this is a devel version.
> >>
> >>Over that period I am experiencing a random crash of enlightenment.  The
> >>only consistent thing is, it happens when I "close" a window via the
> >>close button in the upper right corner.  It totally shuts down the WM
> >>and I must log back in and start over.  This is not the same as when the
> >>grey error box is given with options to restart exit ignore, it is a
> >>quick a total shutdown.
> >>
> >>I was wondering if there are any log files to interogate?  Nothing is
> >>showing up in messages or xorg.0.log.
> >>
> >>Other specs are:
> >

> > check your x logs. seriously - this is weird. if e actually had a bug like a
> > segv, sigbus etc. that would cause it to crash it traps this and if anything
> > would get into an infinite trappign loop if its trap dialog fucks up due to
> > massive memory corruption. if your whole login session just vanishes... i
> > would more suspect an x/x driver bug. one day run e - then attach to e via
> > gdb in a text console (outside x) then let e continue running - if e ever
> > freezes (stops responding) check the gbd console. if your login session
> > vanishes again - it's definitely x.
> >

> >>OS = FC4
> >>VideoCard = Nvidia GeForce4
> >>VideoDriver = using nividia's linux driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676
> >>THEME = default
> >>RAM = 1G
> >>All fs's have free space.
> >>Install is rpm based.
> >>
> >>Any help muchly appreciated.
> >>
> >>TIA
> >>--
> >>Jim Summers
> >>School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma

> Jim Summers
> School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma

裸好多                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)