De : [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] De la part de Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
Envoyé : mercredi 18 janvier 2006 05:37
À : Raif Sarcich
Cc : enlightenment-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Objet : Re: [e-users] desktop freezing like in windows xp

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:01:34 +0800 Raif Sarcich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

Afraid so. Now, as the disk access thing hasn't been reported by the others,
it could be a different problem.

Whatever's going on isn't locking up the system, but is interfering with it
in a major way. When this happens:
* I can kill X and switch to a term and type into it, do standard operations,
but the process is slow because of the constant disk access. Also, the
terminal misses many keystrokes, presumably those which occur when the
process is performing some operation.
* I can bring X back up, but once again, very slow and consistently
interrupted.
* I can still and move the mouse, and last time it happened i was able to
manipulate the menus of the "Links" browser in an xterm with the mouse. I
cannot manipulate any GUI controls though, whether part of e or qt or gtk.
* As noted, the enlightenment process is unkillable. Still, the computer
manages to shut down cleanly without protest.

if you run top - is somehting wrong. is e like usign up 2gb of ram? or is
somehting eatign cpu? if so - what? or eating ram

My distro is Suse 10, and it's running on a compaq presario laptop with an ATI
graphics chip, using the "radeon" driver in xorg.conf.

I tend to use mainly kde apps, and though i can't be sure, it does usually
seem to be konqueror that i'm using when this happens, though it's frozen
using firefox as well ... i'm sorry i can't be more precise, as even when
using firefox, konqueror was probably open. I can't reproduce it at will,
unfortunately.

Hope this helps. The freeze doesn't happen often, maybe once every four or
five days, and i'm enjoying using e17. Thanks for your hard work.

i do know there are freezes in X itself with some drivers (i have found with
the ati fglrx closed drivers theres a nasty hang - happens with some
combinations of renderng ops - its nto an e or firefox issue, but somehow both
can trigger it and when that happens x consumes 100% cpu and u have to kill -9
x) but why e is not killable - see above. is it eating ram or something?

Raif

Quoting "Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:54:09 +0800 Raif Sarcich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

I can report i have had this problem too - usually associated with

Konqueror

or Kontact. An additional symptom is a continually flickering HD LED
thereafter until I do a reboot, and the enlightenment process is

impossible

to kill -9 even after killing the X server. I will have to see if it has
anything to do with drag-and-drop now.

what - even kill -9 doesnt work?

Raif Sarcich

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

when does it happen? what did you do just before? do things still keep
drawing/updating? (if somethig was animating.. does it keep

animating?)

=20

I can reproduice that easily with an drag&drop operation with efm. e17

free=

zes immediately.

=0A=0A=0A=0A"Jetzt Handykosten senken mit klarmobil - 14 Ct./Min.! Hier

kli=

cken"=0Awww.klarmobil.de/index.html?pid=3D73025=0A

files

files

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)

Ive had this sort of thing happen to me and found out later that I had
marginal disk sectors. The retrys were killing everything with pageing
failures to the disk. Something to check anyway. I found out by going
through the /etc/messages log and seeing a ton of IO errors. Had to
replace it. Smooth sailing for me therafter. Just a footnote. ;-)

--
The only constancy is change itself.                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Fredrick P. Brooks, Jr.