On Friday, 24 February 2006, at 21:20:07 (+0100),
Kim Woelders wrote:

> This is a bug in Eterm CVS. It was ok in 0.9.3.

It's actually a bug in LibAST >= 0.6.1.  Or more accurately an
unexpected side effect of a feature.  I've committed a fix to make
this behavior optional and off by default, so updating libast from CVS
should fix it.

(Details:  Awhile back I updated spifopt_parse() to emulate Perl's
Getopt::Long behavior of removing options and their arguments from
argv[] so that only non-option parameters would remain.  This is very
handy for programs that need command line arguments which aren't
options, but Eterm isn't one of those programs.

For example, "ls -Fla foo" would return from spifopt_parse() as simply
"ls foo".  That way, the program doesn't have to try to figure out
which values were for options and which ones weren't.  Similarly, "ls
-Fla -I '*.rpm' perl*" would be returned with argv[0] = "ls" and the
expansion of perl* in the rest of argv[].  Notice how -Fla, -I, *and*
the argument to -I all got swallowed.  That was the goal.

Unfortunately, I failed to realize that Eterm passed argv[] to
XSetWMProperties() *after* options parsing is done.  Thus, all the
options and their parameters were being removed from the argument
list before WM_COMMAND could see them.)

Sorry,
Michael

--