On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 10:27:08PM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
[snip]
> > > are you using engage? (seems so)
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > maybe try ibar instead of engaged
> >
> > I can't reproduce the problem if I unload engage and use ibar
> > instead. Also, when the ghost window was visible and I disabled
> > engage, enlightenment segfaulted. Seems like it's an engage issue
> > then...
> >
> > My version of engage is also a recent CVS checkout (within the last
> > week I think).
>
> it's definitely a ghost window - that's for sure. this in the past was a
> dangling extra reference that was not cleaned up by whoever referenced it -
> the
> bug i found eventually inside of e and fixed.

So it could be a bug in engage then? Otherwise, I can't understand why
I'm unable to reproduce it when engage is disabled.

> > > ghost windows have been a problem in the past but i have actually
> > > not seen one in a loooooooooooooooong time - and i only use the
> > > modules e comes with. was that window a borderless one before too?
> >
> > The window in the screenshot was borderless and sticky, but I've now
> > seen the problem with a non-borderless Eterm too (also only when
> > running engage).
> >
> > I ought to mention that the Eterm's are using pseudo-transparency (I
> > set the root window background to the same image as e's background
> > using Esetroot). I know pseudo-transparency is not supposed to work
> > reliably, but it always has for me ;-) If that turns out to be the
> > problem, then feel free to tell me to either stop using it, or go away
> > and live with the consequences ;-)
>
> it won't have anything to do with eterm's config - it can happen to any window
> anywhere. all windows are equal :)

That's what I thought. But given my non-existent knowledge of X
windows internals, I thought I'd better point it out than not.

Toby
--
PhD Student
Quantum Information Theory group