On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:57:43 +1200 Jochen Schroeder
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:54:30 +1200 Jochen Schroeder
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> >> First, that is not really what I want to do. Second it does not work
> >> either. Well for more information what I want to do is open a specific
> >> file in gvim and have it always appear on one virtual desktop. The best
> >> way of doing this would be using the  title, as that is where the edited
> >> file is being shown in gvim. However this does not work. I think I had
> >>
> >> it working for other programs before so I'm starting to think it might
> >>
> >> be a bug introduced in the recent changes.
> >
> > no - title in this case is probably not going to work. here is why.
> >
> > gvim starts. it creates a window. it asks to show it. now it loads the
> > file. it now CHANGES the title.
> >
> > there is a RACE condition. e may get to managing the window before or after
> > the title has been changed - remember that x is asynchronous - the title
> > may happen before or after e deals with the map request. order of operation
> > is only guaranteed within 1 x11 connection. if titles are being changed
> > then matching using a title is a mater of sheer luck - at the time a window
> > appears, is the title then set to what it is meant to match to. if it
> > ALWAYS is (app sets title before issuing a map request) ten it will work -
> > always. if it does the title change later - it might works sometimes, and
> > other times not.
> I now I get it, makes sense. I actually tried with several different
> apps, but seems like all were changing their title, I just tried with an
> application which didn't and it worked. Thanks for the explanation. OK
> now I have to think of another way of doing what I want.

well technically speaking e could then keep trying to match on title change
events etc. and if after a title change the window then matches - it could then
apply the remember stuff - but problems here are that the window will then
jump/move and it could be bad if u accidentally set a remember and told it to
use title, then u quit app, later app starts and doesn't change title till
later after it has started eg while browsing web sites) and then suddenly the
window jumps/moves/vanishes etc.

so i chose not to try and do that. either match on intial show or dont match at
all.

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)