On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:04:30 +0900 "Jerome Pinot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> On 9/26/06, Michael Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Monday, 25 September 2006, at 14:54:36 (+0900),
> > Jerome Pinot wrote:
> >
> > > That's not only for *BSD, some Linux distro like Slackware doesn't
> > > use PAM.
> >
> > Ah, Slackware...  The most advanced Linux technology 1995 has to
> > offer.
>
> I will just suggest you look at what Slackware _really_ provides or
> believe your doing some kind of humour.
>
> BTW, for 1 year, at least thousand of people used E17 with Slackware:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/detail.php?group_id=148645&ugn=slacke17&type=prdownload&mode=alltime&package_id=0
>
> In several days, Slackware 11.0 and the new SlackE17 will be out.
> Almost 50 packages of the very last of E17 cvs code (the one of
> tomorrow).
>
> So I'm not sure running Slackware brings you 10 years ago :-)
>
> > > Is there any workaround (or a small patch to get back the personal
> > > password)?
> >
> > I would love to hear a justification for not using PAM.
>
> Here are severals:
>
> Patrick Volkerding (2003-09-23):
> "If you see a security problem reported which depends on PAM, you can
> be glad you run Slackware. I think a better name for PAM might be
> SCAM, for Swiss Cheese Authentication Modules, and have never felt
> that the small amount of convenience it provides is worth the great
> loss of system security. We miss out on half a dozen security problems
> a year by not using PAM, but you can always install it yourself if you
> feel that you're missing out on the fun. (No, don't do that.) OK, I'm
> done ranting here. :-)"
>
> Look at this:
> http://search.cert.org/query.html?col=certadv&col=incnotes&col=vulnotes&qt=pam&charset=iso-8859-1
>
> Some technical informations about why OpenBSD guys don't use PAM:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2001/06/26/0000.html
>
> IMHO, PAM is a complex security system, so if you don't require it
> (and most of the time, you can use an other way), you should not use
> it.
>
> To be honest, desklock is not a major feature of E17, but it could be
> good to have a portable way of using it. PAM should not be require or
> you put aside from this feature not so few people. Moreover, PAM
> doesn't seems to be implemented the same way everywhere.
>
> > A patch to reinstate the personal password might be accepted so long
> > as it correctly employed UNIX permissions to keep the password
> > private.
>
> OK.

well unfortunate then for openbsd and slackware users. pam is the only widely
available abstraction for authenticating users & their passwords. passwords in
shadow files using unknown hashing/encryption, only accessible by root basically
make it all hell without something like pam. well i guess by choosing your
distribution you choose to not have such features. your choice.

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)