Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) schrieb:

> and why do you need the other engines? cairo is incomplete and wont' render
> right - it will also be sloooooow. like 1/20th the speed of software. qtopia
> is
> for qtopia - trolltech's embedded qt display system - are you building for a
> qtopia phone? xcb engines are there for testing and unused by anything - so
> why
> do you need them? directfb doesn't work in x. it will only work in directfb
> and
> nothing uses it. glitz is empty - it does nothnig. it's a placeholder. its
> pointless enabling it. opengl is badly maintained and buggy and not supported
> by most major apps - i highly question your wisdom of bothering to build it.
> the defaults are default for a reason. override them only if you know what you
> are doing and why.

I do not really need them, was just a matter of testing reasons.
I like to enable everything for all programs, if they still build clean.
I did not know about the status of the engines, that's why i asked
you to explain to me. BTW, thanks for the information.

So, essentially i only need to enable the following?

    Software X11............: yes
    Software Framebuffer....: yes
    Software Memory Buffer..: yes

The OpenGL one was also for testing reasons, as i read some threads
about it and was just curious. One question regarding Engines - could those
nonfuntional ones i enabled cause problems with default configuration in e17?
How do the engines get selected when not provided eclusively via command line
option or so? Is this done with runtime-detection, selectable from a config
or hardcoded in every app?

> there is no "stable series" of e17. its pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha (i.e. - unstable
> by default and definition. any perceived stability is a matter of some level
> of
> quality control even during development. we have yet to really go on a
> stability lockdown and will do so once we release an alpha release - which
> will happen when we finish the TODO list).

Yeah i know, meant enlightenment DR16 stable series (0.16.8.4).
and i do know about the pre-whatever-alpha-status (BTW i read about pre-beta
status
on the official pages) And i also think that e17 is workable and has
been for quite some time for many people. So please do continue
development, i'm sure something awesome will be created.

Kind regards

Florian Hubold

PS: Just wanted to let you know, Entrance is now my default DM, looks really
fine.
Is it true that it has not been developed further for quite some time?
I know this applies to many parts of e, but i was interested in entrance.