Thanks for the input.  I've seen the optional scripts for installing
e17, mostly relating to modules.  I generally try to stay clear of
hacks (not that hacks are bad) and install as close to "correctly" as
possible.

The problem I seem to be having doesn't seem to be portage-related
since it happens in a raw build also.  I'm hoping that someone here
might be familiar with the error I'm having so that the auto* tools
can work their magic uninterrupted.  If not, I'll go ahead and try
every overlay and install-script I can find to see if any might help.

I completely agree with not installing by hand on Gentoo, when I tried
it, it installed about 50% of e17.. right overtop of e16!  My only
other installed wm! >:}  But, I had to try it to be sure it wasn't
just portage being stupid.

I also agree /w the CVS comment.  I've been having this error since I
recently started trying to upgrade (6 weeks or so).   From what I can
tell, the e17 devs are sticking with their build environment (automake
1.9 and such) while the toolsets are going to new revisions that
aren't completely compatible.

Does anyone know of a complete list of what's needed for the build environment?

Thanks,
PhillW