On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:54:43 -0500 "Paul Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> Greetings.
>
> I stop in and try out Enlightenment every year or so.  I always think
> happily of the E DR13.  It is the program that made me want to use
> Linux in the first place.  My favorite part was the pager--small
> old-fashioned televisions showing desktops, with spotlights that
> pointed at the active desktop.  There has never been another program
> that represented such originality.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a background manager in E now that will make
> it easier to use edje objects.  In the KDE desktop, there's a desktop

in e17 wallpapers ARE edje objects. the desktop is a window (overlayed over
root) by e. you don't see the root window in e17. e17 itself controls your
desktop bg with an iron fist :) it's part of the wm and under the wm's control.
desktop "icons" are there now as part of the filemanager code in e17. any
module in e17 can extend the wm and as a result - can find where e keeps its
"desktop canvases" (look into the managers then the containers in each mnager -
and each container has zones). modules are just code and can create any objects
they like, from anywhere and do anything.

> manager called kdesktop wallpaper and you can set it to run slideshows
> on collections of directories--it randomly shows jpg files at
> intervals you specify.    The last time I tried E, I could not find a
> brain-free way to do that, and had to write some code to talk to the E
> environment.  Even then, the small jpg files got turned into huge
> uncompressed edje files that filled up my home directory.

edje files are compressed. they also STORE the image in the file so you include
a wallpaper -t he image itself gets inlined (there are various compression
schemes from RAW (no compression) to COMP (zlib - no loss in quality) and LOSSY
(jpeg compression - inlined into the .edj). the .edj is stand-alone and
independent - it does not require any files outside - not the original wallpaper
or anything. that's why its big - you can email your .edj to a friend - and it
will work. out of the box. nothing left to do.

it IS possible to have a .edj refer to an image externally - if you really
want, but now you can easily break the wallpaper by moving/deleting the
original image and you can't just send your designs to your friends as the .edj
depends on another file in a particular path in your filesystem. the encoding
scheme for these is USER (as opposed to COMP, RAW and LOSSY). not with LOSSY
you also provide a quality parameter - this determines how much compression you
get. e17's wallpaper import dialog lets you choose this - so it is up to you
how big these things should be. the choices are there.

as for a slideshow - this could be done by a fairly simple module. yes. it
needs code. the main point for us here in development is that we have all the
hooks there needed to make this possible. we can't go write some module/feature
for every single thing someone may want. we cater for the most desired,
necessary and important ones. we need to focus on these and the core - and get
that right. all the "100001 features" people want - we can worry about later or
others can fill in the gaps already via modules.

> --
> Paul E. Johnson
> Professor, Political Science
> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504