On Nov 11, 2007 1:15 PM, Ulisses Furquim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Nov 11, 2007 3:18 AM, Nathan Ingersoll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I use git locally for doing branched development and push to CVS when
> > at a stable point. It is sometimes a pain to sync things properly, but
> > not that bad.
>
> Yes, I'm also doing this and it's a pain like you said (specially when
> you have to move files, rename, create directories, ...). Ah.. and I'm
> not even talking about "losing" history when you move/rename files in
> CVS.
>
> > For most people, there is not much benefit of using git
> > as they develop in a single branch.
>
> Yes, you're right, but that's why I said we'd have to change our
> workflow. With more people integrating and reviewing patches we'd have
> better code reaching the repository. And that will be very important
> with the stable version of our libs and apps. Moreover, think about
> maintaining version 1.0 of our libs and also the development version.
> We could create modules in CVS for the stable version and keep the
> development in the "old" module but that only becomes even more
> painful to work and doesn't scale, IMHO.

Even right now, if you have to debug and find where things were
broken, you don't have a repo snapshot to test, you have to go
per-date and later do fine tuning on your files... it's really
unhelpful.

The main problem is: people don't really use a SCM in E development,
just use something to publish your changes upstream... then sure, CVS
does that fine, but almost nothing more... since you don't use these
other things, then you don't really miss then. It's a real pitty. :-(

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri