On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Ian C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Toma wrote:
>>
>> Here was my idea.
>> http://members.iinet.net.au/~haste/e17/e-website.png
>> Needs more links and content and better icons, but the basic idea is
>> there. It basically follows the "3 Big Stupid Buttunz" design
>> philosophy of other projects like OpenSuse and so on. Of course, the
>> content pages could be much different. What about a mashup of that
>> idea with mekius's? I like his site a lot.
>>
>> Toma.
>>

>> 2008/9/1 Ian C.<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>

>>> hello, I know we have been talking about redesigning enlightenment.org to
>>> be
>>> more user friendly for quite awhile, I'd really like to see this done
>>> soon.
>>> We've finally moved from cvs to svn and to the latest version of trac.
>>> We've
>>> already come to the agreement that the current design is not usable so no
>>> reason to debate it further. I also know that a lot of you're are skilled
>>> in
>>> web design, web development as well as artistic. This is a way for those
>>> of
>>> you who may know how to code in php  but not C to contribute to the
>>> project.
>>> So here's what we're looking for. We'll divide this into a few phases.
>>> First
>>> off I'd like to see some mockups of what you guys think the new
>>> enlightenment.org should look like.  Basically what we are looking for a
>>> very nice, simple clean site. The problems that we currently have with
>>> the
>>> current site is that it is a mess, most the content is scattered and not
>>> all
>>> needed on the website, some of it just plain belongs in the wiki. The
>>> main
>>> things need to stand out more (bugs, exchange, svn, wiki, and so on.....
>>> user should be able to visit a site and be able to find what he needs
>>> easily. The current sites submenus are very confusing and not necessary,
>>> use
>>> the content to provide the links. So lets see what you guys can bring to
>>> the
>>> table and we'll fine tune it and decide which one we think is best suited
>>> for enlightenments needs. Also please note this is only the mockup phase,
>>> we're not going to debate cms's etc at this point.
>>> thanks, We look forward to seeing your submissions.
>>> --Inc
>>>
>>> P.S so far the only mockup we've recieved is mekius's which can be found
>>>  @
>>> http://edev.mekius.net/

>>> challenge
>>> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK&  win great
>>> prizes
>>> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the
>>> world
>>>

> That's a little bit too simple, Lets say a user visits the site and sees
> [...]

In this kind of layout you can always put some text under those 3
buttons with more information, see http://www.rubyonrails.org/

About buttons, we can also add one more, but I guess more than 4 will
be overhelming. I also think that we do not need those buttons under
icons, it look too heavy.

As for categories, looking at current E website we have:
  - News
  - About
  - Download
  - Support
  - Contribute
  - Contact
  - Tracker

As you can guess, this is too much and also some items are in both of
them. Trying to map those to RoR-like categories:
   - Get Excited: Exchange and some screencasts, screenshots... link
to user-provided content, ot search, like flickr or youtube tags.
   - Get Started: Download, both packages and SVN instructions
   - Get Better: part of Support, including Documentation (API, Books,
HowTo...) & Wiki (some category with user contributed docs)
    - Get Involved: Contribute, Tracker and part of Support, with Mail
lists, IRC, Wiki, Tracker.

These don't need to be direct links, we can even go with intermediate
pages with more detailed instructions. For example, we can point to a
"Tracker" page with a link to http://trac.enlightenment.org/e at the
top and some text explaining how to report bugs following it.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems