On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Simon Detheridge
<si...@highlyillogical.org> wrote:

>>> I've got E17 installed on my eeepc. Is there any way I can get it to
>>> disable display power management when I plug the laptop in, and enable
>>> it when running off battery again?
>>
>> which power management are you talking about? That from cpu module or
>> external, like gnome-power-manager (that will auto-run if someone
>> talks to it over DBus).
>
> I was talking about the "display power management" settings from the E17
> "screen" panel under "settings", that just control putting the monitor onto
> standby.
>
> I'd like to set things up using Enlightenment, rather than having it rely on
> bits of gnome all over the place. I'm trying to install as little of Gnome
> as possible, as my eeepc has very limited space. (And it seems silly to
> install a gnome program to do something that there's an option for in E17.)

Fair enough, I'm like that as well.

But we still do not have such thing, it's not hard to do (if you want
to help...), but we're low on manpower resources. I'd like to have the
infra like kde does to enable one to set different rules regarding
power management, then some simpler ui (as kde's is verrrrryyyy
complex). Rules could be things like "on power, enable all cpus, speed
up hd, turn on bluetooth, wifi, ..." and "on battery, disable all but
one cpu, make hd slower, turn off bluetooth and wifi if they're not in
use..." Some of these things are easy to do and are almost there, some
are more complex (specially networking and cpus).

As I really think this will not be done until e17 is out, I'd
recommend you doing acpid event listeners in /etc/acpi/, you can write
simple shell scripts to do that.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems