On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtw...@ttlc.net> wrote:
> First things first...
>
> Thanks once again "P Purkayastha" ( which sounds too formal, but ":P" just
> don't feel right... Would it be ok if I just thought of you as "ppurka" ??)

Sure. ppurka is fine with me :D

> This is NOT the first time you have selflessly offered your scripting
> skills for my benefit. I can't thank you enough for pointing me at your
> e17_setup.sh script (You should probably consider inserting some copyright
> stuff in scripts of that quality) Speaking of which, I have pointed others
> at your download link, I hope you don't mind...

Well, I am not so sure that the e17_setup.sh script is of much use
now. enlightenment_remote has been "retired" and now things are being
moved over to dbus based commands. The current enlightenment_remote is
just a scripted wrapper to dbus and supports only a small subset of
the commands of the earlier enlightenment_remote.

That said, feel free to forward the link,- it will remain as long as
google does not remove it.

> Now about the "part" of another of your scripts (below)... I must confess
> that my scripting skills are not in your league. And I'm trying to
> understand a few new concepts...

Well, my scripting skills are ok, nothing too good.

>> I usually bind this to my PrintScreen button for a default 7sec delay and
>> I bind it to my Pause button (calling it with --now switch) for instant
>> window grabs. You can replace imlib2_grab with emprint or whatever other
>> command you want (I had import earlier, but imlib2_grab is faster :P).
>>

> At this point I'd probably use emprint...

yes. You can use emprint at this point.

>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> # Query the image quality
>> QUALITY="$(displaymessage --radiolist "What is the quality of screenshot
>> you desire?" "png" "Lossless Quality (png)" on "jpeg" "Lossy Quality
>> (jpeg)" off --title "Select Quality of screenshot" --center)"
>> [[ -z "$QUALITY" ]] && exit
>
> I've never seen this:
> "$(displaymessage --radiolist "text" "value1" "text (value1)" on "value2"
> "text (value2)" off --title "text" --center)"
>
> construct before?? No clue how it works. Though I can deduce it's purpose.

displaymessage is my own banal script which acts as a wrapper to
either of kdialog, Xdialog, gxmessage or xmessage. It tries in that
order to find one of those programs and executes that program. You can
look up the webpages/manpages of those programs and you will see that
the options they take are very similar to above.

> So since a nice C programmer once gifted me with a getchr.c utility And I'm
> more comfortable with using echo, case and  getchr, I'd probably have
> accomplished something like the above with:
>
> # begin code
> # Query the image quality
> echo "What is the quality of screenshot you desire?
>
> Type a 'P' for Lossless Quality (png)
>  - or -
> Type a 'J' for Lossy Quality (jpeg)
>
>        Select Quality of screenshot
> "
> QUALITY="$(getchr [jJpP])"
> case $QUALITY in
>        j|J)QUALITY="jpeg";;
>        p|P)QUALITY="png";;
>        *)echo "input error";
>         exit;;
> esac
> # end code
>
> Did I correctly deduce what your "displaymessage" construct does???

Yes, except I have kept everything on a GUI level with displaymessage :P

> Actually I've cobbled together the script I'm going to be using for this.
> I decided to use a true cli based model rather than using interactive
> choices. I'd be curious to know what you think of it. It can currently
> be found at:
>
> https://home.comcast.net/~jtwdyp/fileShuttle/jshot
>
> And do have a nice day.

Seems fine to me at first glance :) Wish you too a good day.