no need to write such a huge mail... it's being removed for good. But
functionality is not going away, nice guys are working on dbus-based
replacement, to be loaded as optional module (so those like you can
load and be happy).

the replacement provides a shell script around dbus-send and accepts
the same parameters as enlightenment_remote

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtw...@ttlc.net> wrote:

> It would appear that on Sep 30, P Purkayastha did say:
>
>> Well, I am not so sure that the e17_setup.sh script is of much use
>> now. enlightenment_remote has been "retired" and now things are being
>> moved over to dbus based commands. The current enlightenment_remote is
>> just a scripted wrapper to dbus and supports only a small subset of
>> the commands of the earlier enlightenment_remote.
>>
>> That said, feel free to forward the link,- it will remain as long as
>> google does not remove it.
>
> Now I'm depressed. I originally found enlightenment because when it began
> to seem inevitable that (yuck) kde4 was going to grind kde3 under it's
> treads I started looking for an alternative. Then I found a review of
> enlightenment (that was based I think on e16) that mentioned it could be
> configured to run almost exclusively with the keyboard. Since I have great
> personal difficulty with pointing devices I then started looking into if I
> could get enlightenment via the various package management systems of the
> linux versions I currently run (Sabayon [gentoo based], Kubuntu [debian
> based], & OpenSuSE ) And after I was able to install e16 on ALL THREE I
> started to try to learn to live with it. As soon as I discovered how easy
> it was to edit ~/.e16/bindings.cfg to get my primary user interface all
> configured without resorting to the pain generating rodent, I feel in love
> with it. I wasn't real happy with the gui tools I had to use to configure
> the rest of it, but they were no more painful than kde4 had become, and
> since the keybindings themselves were quick and easy to set-up, I felt like
> I could make the other configuration changes a little at a time, which
> helped avoid over stressing my wrists...
>
> I thought I was happy again. Then I discovered that there was a newer
> version of enlightenment in the works called E17. I thought, "Oh NO!
> Did I just jump out of kde4's frying pan to land in another skillet?"
> I feared that this e17 would sooner or later do to e16 what kde4 is doing
> to kde3. So I thought I better check it out to see if I was going to have
> to keep an eye out for yet another Window Manager/Desktop Environment, Or
> could I really afford to get hooked on 'E'.
>
> My first look at e17 wasn't encouraging until some nice person introduced
> me to enlightenment_remote AND a marvelous script that made it relatively
> easy to use called e17_setup.sh... (thanks again ppurka) And I began to
> believe that I could afford to get used to the up and coming version of
> enlightenment. Now It's almost as rare that I use e16 as that I would load
> kde anymore. Especially since the new kde4 versions of some of the programs
> I'm addicted to cause it to lock up more often than e17 (I hate it when I've
> got several different kinds of documents open, some with unsaved changes,
> and something suddenly causes the gui to stop listening to either the
> keyboard or the mouse...)

> [...]

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems
MSN: barbi...@gmail.com