On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Simon Bucek <buc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To all Enlightenment Users and Developers,
>
> this post presents the simple idea of bringing two great projects together,
> namely to create a flagship distribution for Enlightenment based on Tiny
> Core Linux.
>
> "Tiny Core Linux is a very small (10 MB) minimal Linux GUI Desktop. It is
> based on Linux 2.6 kernel, Busybox, Tiny X, and Fltk. The core runs entirely
> in ram and boots very quickly. Also offered is Micro Core a 6 MB image that
> is the console based engine of Tiny Core. CLI versions of Tiny Core's
> program allows the same functionality of Tiny Core's extensions only
> starting with a console based system.
> It is not a complete desktop nor is all hardware completely supported. It
> represents only the core needed to boot into a very minimal X desktop
> typically with wired internet access.
> The user has complete control over which applications and/or additional
> hardware to have supported, be it for a desktop, a netbook, an appliance, or
> server, selectable by the user by installing additional applications from
> online repositories, or easily compiling most anything you desire using
> tools provided."
>
> The goal of Tiny Core Linux is the „creation of a nomadic ultra small
> desktop capable of booting from cdrom, pendrive, or frugally from a hard
> drive. The desktop boots extremely fast and is able to support additional
> applications and hardware of the users choice. While Tiny Core always
> resides in ram, additional applications extensions can either reside in ram,
> mounted from a persistent storage device, or installed into a persistent
> storage device.“
>
> http://www.tinycorelinux.com/
>

> We believe that a cooperation between both projects would greatly facilitate
> the development of both and could result in a new and exciting distribution.
>

> Please feel free to share your ideas and comments on the TCL forum:
> http://tinycorelinux.com/forum/
>
> Existing posts related to E:
>
> The idea:
> http://tinycorelinux.com/forum/index.php?topic=5209.0
>
> Development:
> http://tinycorelinux.com/forum/index.php?topic=5267.0

Hi Simon,

Definitely we can match our goals perfectly. We are light, if not it
is a bug. We're fancy, if not it is a bug. Yes, we can be both at the
same time.

Since you have a custom system, I bet our customization options will
benefit you there. For sure you can count on us (or at least on me) to
provide a good selection of compile flags and what should go in and
what should not. For instance, compiling eina and evas with static
modules will save you some space and help performance. Compiling
software with amalgamation support (eina, eet) will also help those.
Even e17 have couple of modules that could be compiled out, or just
not enabled by default... it is as simple as creating your own profile
(e.cfg, created from e.src... see our e/config directory for
examples).

Just note right now we're quite in flux, the situation should
normalize soon. We're collapsing some modules to reduce the number of
required ".so" and also polishing them. Last but not least, see my
post about Efreet's temporary situation:
http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/blog/efreet-xdg-temporary-breakages
This is important to avoid torrent of complaints.

Also see our http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Packaging
instructions. I'm maintaining Gentoo ebuild in our svn, so they might
be a good source for configure and compile flags.

We expect our situation to become stable by early April, so we can do
a stabilization snapshot by mid April. Then I'd recommend you to pick
up the code and package for your distro.   Of course you can report
bugs and help with patches :-)

Thank you for your interest on E/EFL!

BR,

--