On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 27 May 2010 16:32:05 you wrote:
>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 15:45, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > In KDE gpg-agent is launched via /etc/kde/startup/agent-startup.sh
>> > like so, upon startup of KDE:
>> > ===========================
>> > $ grep -v "#" /etc/kde/startup/agent-startup.sh
>> >

>> > if [ -x /usr/bin/gpg-agent ]; then
>> >  eval "$(/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon)"
>> > fi
>> > ===========================
>> >
>> > and killed when KDE shuts down:
>> > ===========================
>> > $ grep -v "#" /etc/kde/shutdown/agent-shutdown.sh
>> >
>> > if [ -n "${GPG_AGENT_INFO}" ]; then
>> >  kill $(echo ${GPG_AGENT_INFO} | cut -d':' -f 2) >/dev/null 2>&1
>> > fi
>> > ===========================
>> >
>> > This allows Kmail to work with gpg-agent nicely.  What is the right
>> > way to do this with Enlightenment?
>> >
>> > I have googled and can't find anything that works.  An old thread
>> > suggested using ~/.e/e/applications/startup/ and I have set up two
>> > .desktop files as follows:
>> >
>> > $ ls -la .e/e/applications/all/
>> > total 2
>> > drwxr-xr-x 2 michael michael   4 May 27 14:32 .
>> > drwxr-xr-x 8 michael michael   8 May 24 15:21 ..
>> > -rw-r--r-- 1 michael michael 156 May 27 14:32 agent_shutdown.desktop
>> > -rw-r--r-- 1 michael michael 153 May 27 13:58 agent_startup.desktop
>> >
>> > Then added this in /applications/startup/.order:
>> >
>> > $ cat .e/e/applications/startup/.order
>> > agent_startup.desktop
>> > gkrellm-gkrellm-2.desktop
>> >
>> > and this in applications/restart/.order:
>> >
>> > $ cat .e/e/applications/restart/.order
>> > agent_shutdown.desktop
>> > agent_startup.desktop
>> >
>> > However, they do not work:
>> >
>> > $ echo $GPG_AGENT_INFO
>> >

>> > shows nothing at all.  :-(
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>>
>> Depending on how you start E it might be best to just set it in ~/.xinitrc
>> If you start over xinit/startx it will read ~/.xinitrc and start
>> gpg-agent - and when you exit E (which kills the Xserver), it will
>> also stop it.
>> If you're using a loginmanager, you can use Xsession files for that.
>
> Thanks Thomas,
>
> Until entrance is rewritten I am using kdm to start enlightenment.  It seems
> that kdm does not use ~/.xsession, because gpg-agent fails to start.
>
> What else could I try?

As already said by people, it depends on your distro and how you are
using your DM. For instance, if you are using KDM and using the
"Enlightenment" session it will NOT use ~/.xsession. You need a
specific session to use it, I don't recall the name, but it may be
"Custom", "XSession" or something like that.

As also said, you can just go and have it in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/
as most distros are set to load all of them in order. Probably you
already have other agents there, like ssh-agent and consolekit.

Going even further, if you use your desktop mostly for single user,
I'd recommend using "slim" as DM and set it to auto-login in E17 using
/etc/slim.conf and "auto_login yes" and "default_user" to your
username. If you want to type a password, just request E17 to "start
locked" by using -locked command line option or using the GUI
Settings/Screen/Screen Lock.  It will make your boot much faster as
there is no crap qt(kdm)/gtk(gdm) loaded into memory.

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems