On 10/13/2010 09:30 AM, Jochen Schröder wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> this has been bugging me for a while and now I finally got around
> reporting it. I have some focussing problems, which I believe are bugs
> in E's focus behaviour. I'm using pointer focus but I think I saw
> similar things when I was using sloppy focus. There's essentially two
> problems, but I think they might be related.
>
> Problem 1:
> When switching Desktops, the Window under the pointer doesn't seem to be
> properly focused, in particular I doesn't take keyboard input. This does
> happen if there is only on window on that desktop. To get it to focus I
> need to hit ALT-TAB. This does not happen all the time though, so I'm
> having a bit of trouble to find a way to consistently trigger it. It
> does also happen if there is several windows on the desktop. Then even
> some window is in the foreground and has the pointer on it, the keyboard
> input goes to another window, which has caused me to close the wrong
> window a couple of times using CTRL-ALT-X. Note I don't have "refocus to
> last window on desktop switch enabled". I mainly notice both of these
> problems with Firefox and Thunderbird.
>
> Problem 2:
>
> This one is reproducable. When I create a new keybinding, I'm asked to
> press the key-combination. That works fine, however if I then chose an
> action which requires something in the action parameter text field I
> cannot get the field to take keyboard input. The courser appears when I
> click on the field, however I have to circle through the windows via
> ALT-TAB until the keybindings dialogue is back in focus for it to take
> any keyboard input.
>
> Should I file a bug in trac?
>
> Cheers
> Jochen

Problem 1 is a well known already. I have encountered Problem 2, but I
didn't know that it was because the keybinding dialog wasn't getting
focused. Thanks for the workaround.

There are already a couple of focus bugs in trac. Perhaps you can look
through them and see if Problem 1 is mentioned anywhere. Problem 2 has
probably not been reported earlier.

As a user, I would say filing a bug is definitely recommended :P It
would help other users know what problems still exist.