On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:22:15 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> said:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:54:04 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
>
> > thats just SILLY. what - so have to get gettext to map in another 500
> > mo files just to get translations? someone over in
> > ubuntu/xdg/whatever land is smoking some serious crack if they
> > proposed this as a brilliant idea. they obviously care nothing for
> > efficiency or performance. now we need to do yet more caching and
> > merging and mapping into mmaped files as well as montior modified
> > timestamps of yet more indirectly accessed files beyond what we
> > already do. incredibly brilliant. - grumpy raster up and bitching
> > today. beware.
>
> Yep, that seems to be the general trend of software these days.  No one
> actually needs multi gigahertz computers, so lets soak up those excess
> cycles with make work.

well this isnt going to be about the ghz. it will consume lots of disk head
seeks and IO... and IO hasnt gotten amazingly faster over time like cpu's. it
will also consume lots of mapped pages and/or heap/ram/memory unless u do yet
more ugly cache files as already is done with .desktops.

ugh! grumpy grumpy. i can understand nice standards and flexible systems, etc.
but ... for the love of god people... at least come up with standards that are
somewhat efficient! aaaaaaagh! (and the person who makes the argument the cpu
cycles/ram/disk/io are cheap and human time is expensive and we just let it be
solved with hardware is going to get a kick in the NUTS!... or whatever other
part of the anatomy hurts when you kick it. grumpy grumpy grumpy...)