On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM, mik firestone <mikf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> e17 has become very unstable on my machine.  Within a few seconds of
>> starting up, I can reliably crash it. All I need to do is leave the
>> focus on the engage bar at the bottom of my screen, wait a few seconds
>> and then move the mouse. It would appear that I can crash e17 hard
>> enough that I don't even get the white screen of debug.
>>
>> I have cleaned out (rm -rf /usr/local/e17) my entire e17 install to
>> make sure I have no old libraries laying around causing trouble.
>>
>> I have attached a backtrace. I have more and I can generate them
>> fairly easily. If the listserv strips the backtrace, I will upload
>> them to dropbox and provide the public URLs.
>
> Sorry the backtrace didn't make it. Maybe use pastebin and send a link.
>
>> I have noticed that one of the symptoms is that
>> efreet_desk_create_cache runs non-stop. This results in my engage bar
>> flashing at me at a high frequency.
>>
>> I "fixed" it yesterday by deleting my config directory. It cleared up
>> the problem until I logged out last night and logged in this morning.
>> Now it is back
>>
>> What have I broken?
>
> Hum, sounds strange. Could you run this program directly and tell us
> what is happening. It's in
> ${prefix}/lib/efreet/efreet_desktop_cache_create.

Ah. Some strace and gdb later, the culprit was my .xinitrc file. It said
  XDG_CACHE_HOME="{$HOME}/.cache"
which evaluated to {/home/mik}/.cache and things just went sideways
from there.  I fixed the errant {} and things are much happier now.

Now I need to figure out why my .xinitrc was setting those.

Thanks.

> --
> Cedric BAIL

I am all that is bad, all that is evil.