On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:30:47 -0400 mh <mhe...@member.fsf.org> wrote:

> Don't know. Tried everything, all the suggestions and hints from
> googling, reinstalling everything from svn, at 63455 now. Elsa
> starts, can't type in user name but can select it from the user list,
> can't type in password. Can reboot etc from Elsa.
>
> In /var/log/elsa.log still see "ERR<2324>: edge edge_tuil.c:2442
> edge_object_size_min_restricted_calc()
> file /usr/local/sare/elsa/themes/default.edj, group elsa has a
> non-fixed part 'password'. Adding 'fined: 1 1;' to source EDC may
> help. Continuing discarding faulty part." No idea on that.
>
> Elsa looks great, gdm3 awful. This class is very hard.
>

> On Sep 16, 2011, at 5:04 PM, mh wrote:
>
> > I found that there was a  /usr/local/etc/pam.d/elsa file. e17 is
> > installed here in /usr/local, so that makes sense. I saved this
> > file to elsa.orig and then copied my /etc/pam.d/gdm file
> > to /usr/local/etc/pam.d/elsa as Jeff suggested, but still had the
> > same result. If it's a pam issue, is there some other path or env
> > that needs to be changed because of the install to /usr/local/?

You may have done that the wrong way around.  /usr/local/etc/pam.d/elsa
would be where compiling elsa put it's own PAM file, but your system is
likely looking for PAM files in /etc/pam.d.  So copy the first (the one
you saved) into the second.

On the other hand, sounds like you just can't type stuff, user name OR
password.  I'll give the standard advice - compile all the EFL AND elsa
from the same SVN revision, and make sure to clean out ALL old versions
of both first.  Might be useful to keep an eye on the
enlightenment-...@lists.sourceforge.net mailing list, see if there are
any new bug fixes.