Same issue here. You can alt+drag conky on top of the shelf though. I've
ticked "allow windows to overlap the shelf" so conky can draw itself on
top of it (also e17 remembers position). That works. And in settings >
window display > new windows I've set Smart Placement, so not every new
window covers the shelf. That's a bit of a hit and miss though, but
satisfying. And I've set some keybindings using wmctrl to position
windows easily.

Martin