On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 16:47:39 +0200 robert <rob...@split.gr> said:

> Good morning and thanks for your replies.
>
> @Wido : vendor is all nvidia, drivers appear to be working fine
>
> @Raster :
> I am getting excellent performance on the older opensuse 11.4, and also
> I tried installing Jeff's bodhi linux on which I also have excellent
> performance.
> So that at least rules out the possibility of hardware being the
> culprit.

one thing. have u done:
rm -rf ~/.cache

? evas caches shader binaries in there to speed up startup time. it may be
possible between driver revisions something caused them to become dog-slow.
nuke that and see.

> On my current latest opensuse however the problem remains.
> I installed a previous version of xorg from source, problem remains.
> I installed 2 different previous nvidia drivers, problem still remains.
> I compiled and installed the latest 2.6 vanilla kernel, still problem
> remains.
>
> I also tried recompiling and reinstalling r65800 directly (instead of
> creating and then installing rpms), and problem persists.
>
> I have tried adding / removing / tampering with every option in
> nvidia-settings, in the enlightenment configuration options, and
> anything related from nvidia documentation in xorg.conf.
>
> I have cross-checked xorg.0.log from all 3 installations and not found
> something wrong / different.

well this smells like something driver related. same EFL, same hardware,
different distro means performance goes from good to suck. so obviously the
issue is with the thing u changed - the distro. what components matter here?

kernel
libc
other system libs driver may depend on
xorg

something there somewhere be it a version of a lib, a patch that was or was not
applied or some setting that is different, is causing this. generally i'd
advise you narrow it down, but as such its a WHOLE distro version difference.
you cant just upgrade/downgrade specific packages. all i can suggest is you
start with the older suse that works then package by package upgrade and see.
other than that you can just save time and simply not use that distro
(version), but i assume you now are simply curious and angry enough to want to
know what the hell went wrong. all you can do now is "elimination". try and
change all the relevant parts of the os that will interact with nvidia driver
and performance . so eg - start with old suse that worked then install newer
kernel from newer suse (and i guess then newer nvidia driver too to match) and
see. keep going one step at a time until something causes the slowdown. it'll
be slow going as u probably are going to want to reboot between each upgrade
and test.

> So I'm back at square 1.
>
> I found previous posts stating that gles / xcb should not be used and to
> let autoconfiguration take place.
> Is this still the case ?

yes. and its not enabled by default unless you go --enable it, so you're safe,
unless you've shot yourself in the foot. :)