On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 13:28:56 -0300 Wido <wido...@gmail.com> said:

> That means that instead of compiling lib-by-lib in the exact order, we will
> just run one (and only one) configure-make-make install ??

yes. if u dont want a lib built u'll have to --disable it as opposed to just
not download/build it. you will download everything we release in 1 big
tarball (or src checkout). deal with it. :)

> I like that!!! Is there a reason it wasn't done before?

1. save bandwidth so you only download what u need and want, not everything.
2. make it obvious and easy to people to know they can just use a minimal
subset of libs we release to make something so they can have a minimal
dependency chain
3. save disk space
4. efl grew organically adding new libs to solve new problems over time. it
really didn't start life as EFL - it started as 1, then 2 then 3 libs that
happened to come from the same team that solved different problems. it was
never envisaged as one big project and toolkit set until much later in its
lifetime as it became apparent that is what it had in effect become. this move
to a single tree reflects that changed reality in a concrete way and saves us
time, effort, and improves many things. it hurts the people who want to
download less etc. etc. - but it's a sacrifice worth making.