On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Nasa <nas...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have been playing around with pulse and E17 for a bit
> now and have continually noted some issues I haven't been
> able to solve -- so I thought throw them at the group and
> see if anyone has any clue on what's up.  Background: AMD based
> machine with HDMI out, however, I am using a Creative USB
> soundcard for audio. BTW: I did throw some of this at the
> group way back in Feb...
>

> Problem 1:
> Mixer fails to load.  Error messages from .xsession-errors
>
> states:  ALSA lib control.c:951:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL
> alsa_output.usb-Creative_Technology_SB_X-Fi_Surround_5.1_000001PN-00-S51.iec958-stereo
> MIXER: Cannot get hardware info: No such file or directory

I'm not sure this comes from e17, looks like an error from PA itself,
could you check?

> If I unload and reload the mixer module (it takes 2 times to have
> the module reload) it *works*, however...
>
> Problem 2:
> The audio configuration in the mixer module isn't the same as being
> used by pulseaudio.  In my example, I have digital 5.1 selected in the
> pulseaudio
> volume control (pauvcontrol) with the appropriate 5 channel volume control -
> the e17
> mixer module shows digital stereo 2 channel volume control.  This results in
> the odd
> scenario of increasing the volume via the mixer to only have the front
> left/right
> channels increasing.

When I first designed mixer's GUI, I fixed it to support ALSA and
stereo-only. zmike added support for PA, but I believe nobody ever
added support for more than two channels.

> Problem 3:
> Related to problem #1 - you will have similar issues if you start
> pulseaudio as an application (something else is going wrong with #1 right
> now).  It
> seems all the modules/gadgets are loaded prior to starting the list of apps -
> and thus
> the mixer fails to see the soundcard.  I addressed this by starting
> pulseaudio right before
> e17, which solved it before -- but isn't now.

I believe the most common case is to start PA from ~/.xsession, right
before e17. Or to start it from somewhere else (XSession in some
systems, systemd --user session in others).

Anyway, the PA module should do two things in my point of view:
  - MUST: detect and cope with PA lifecycle: it may die, may be
started later, may be restarted;
  - GOOD: start PA if it's not already running.

> Finally, Problem 4:
> This may not be a E problem, but just in case, when you get audio working you
> have to watch
> out for it playing at 100% even though the volume settings are at the
> appropriate levels -
> a simple movement of the volume controls brings things back to normal

strange and I have no idea about it.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems