On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM, P Purkayastha <ppu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/06/2012 04:45 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>> actually both gentoo ebuild users and the tweakers end up on our doorstep
>> asking us for help with their tweaked builds. on our irc/email lists. though
>> it's nice to help - we help again and again and repeat ourselves that those
>> options are for people who know exactly what they are doing with the option.
>> if
>> u dont know then accept defaults without a --enable or --disable in sight.
>> :) u
>> do more than that then deal with your own problems - they never do though. we
>> end up with them. so the future is many fewer options. u'll be patching src
>> change things and that tends to be a barrier high enough to keep the tweakers
>> out :)
>>

> That's not quite true. At least with *good* ebuilds in current Gentoo.
> *Good* ebuilds themselves provides configure options such that the
> default configure options are sane. For example look at the default
> options for evas:
>
> ~ยป eix -e evas
> [I] media-libs/evas
>       Available versions:  (~)1.0.1 (~)1.1.0 (~)1.2.1 (**)9999{tbz2}[1]
> {X altivec bidi +bmp +cache directfb doc +eet fbcon +fontconfig gif gles
> +ico +jpeg mmx nls opengl +png +ppm +psd sdl sse sse3 static-libs svg
> tga +threads tiff xcb xpm}
>

> You see all the + things? It means that those configure options (USE
> flags in Gentoo terminology) are all enabled by default and the rest are
> disabled by default. This means that if the user is not a ricer, then
> he/she will be compiling evas with just the options that are not likely
> to break evas. If the user is a ricer, he/she will tweak around with all
> the configure flags irrespective of the linux distro. Gentoo just makes
> this tweaking easier.

it's worth to note that Gentoo is the only distro that packages
EFL/E17 in its most updated form. You can emerge directly from SVN and
test the latest code.

Then it's expected that some gentoo users will show with some problems due that.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems